Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fun with Friends and Back to Work



I returned to work from an almost 7-week hiatus. My return was bittersweet, but for the most part, I would say I was glad to be back. During my last week of leave, I started to get a little bored. I finished all of my little "projects" and found myself with little to do. I guess it was time to get back.

I have not had much time to dwell on Emma's loss this week, as work has kept me incredibly busy. I guess this is good, as it is very nice and very necessary to shift my focus back to "normal." I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to take six weeks to slow down and grieve for Emma, but I am also grateful for the distraction that work provides. It is good to be back to my old routine again, even if I am coming back to it a very changed person.

The weekend prior to returning to work I got the chance to visit my friend Dena. We had a fun "girl's weekend" with several other girls, most of them good friends from Fort Riley. We rented a limo, went wine tasting, cooked, talked and jumped on Dena's trampoline. Most important, we took the opportunity to wrap our arms around our dear friend Dena and remind her that she is a part of our Army family.

Kelly and I take a break.A little afternoon exercise....

Just us girls....


We picked an appropriate weekend to get together, as Memorial Day offered us the opportunity to honor Rob and the sacrifice that he made for our freedom. On Memorial Day we drove to Osceola, Nebraska to visit Rob's grave and attend a Memorial Day ceremony. I could not go through that experience without thinking about the cost of freedom and the sacrifice that so many of our Soldiers have made. As I watched Dena lay a wreath on her husband's grave and Julia place a flower with a note to Daddy, I was profoundly touched by the sacrifice that Rob made for all of us. No longer is Memorial Day about honoring a mass of faceless Soldiers. From now on I will always be touched by memorializing someone who was dear to my heart. This Memorial Day reminded me that though our great wars through history have produced a painfully long list of Soldiers who have paid the ultimate price for freedom, each one of these Soldiers has a family, a personal history and a story of love and loss. I feel as if Rob's story was written on the faces of Dena, Julia and Eva as they visited his grave this Memorial Day. I will never forget.

At this time of year, please remember to pray for our Soldiers and their families.

2 comments:

The Bender's said...

Kim,
We are thinking of you, as you start back to work. It was great to see you and see you relax, have some fun and all be there for Dena. You are such an awesome person and friend. We are all lucky to know you!

By the way, when I got home I took one look at Zach and yes, Timmy is bigger than him! And to think Zach is almost 6 months older! I think you may have a seven footer!!

Thinking of you and missing you already,
Karen

Dena Yllescas said...

Kim-Thank you so much for the very touching entry. I could not have asked for better friends to put their arms around me this Memorial Weekend. I think it was a weekend of remembrance and healing on all different levels for each of us. Kim, I think of you often and I hope you can feel the prayers I have coming to you. Day by day. I love you and thank you for being such an amazing friend! Dena