Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

We hope that you have all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday! Tim, Timmy and I have had a great time over the past few days, though we have met with a few "challenges." Tim came home on Thanksgiving Day and thankfully had a safe trip. It was up to me to get the turkey started and everything ready for having company over in the afternoon. No big deal...right? Well, the night before a friend delivered the turkey and I decided it was a little "smallish" so I ran out on Thanksgiving morning and grabbed another small turkey just in case. Needless to say, this was frozen solid. So, I ran it under hot water for while, and in the middle of this process, I heard water running through the pipes(predictably), but it was making a weird sound. So, I went out to the garage to check things out and noticed water leaking from a pipe. Now, by "leaking" I mean "like a firehose." So, Thanksgiving being the second cheapest day of the year to hire a plumber, I frantically called one at about noon. So, let me paint this serene picture for you: I was running late, frozen turkey in sink, dressed in my dress blues (military uniform) running through my garage that is overflowing with water trying to get to the shut-off valve for the water (which of course was corroded, rusted and difficult to operate). The plumber agreed to meet me after I got back from work in a few hours. He showed up, turned a few knobs and charged me $20 for the less than five minutes it took for him to fix the problem and explain it to me. Oh well, I was just glad t have my water back and begin working on the turkey. I ended up having to nuke it in the microwave for about an hour. After all of this, we expected that it would ultimately have the consistency of a rubber frisbee, but it was actually the juiciest turkey I have ever had. We were running a "little" behind and did not get to dinner until after 8pm, but those are just details. The moral of the story is microwaves save Thanksgiving. :)

Tim is still back for a few days and we have been getting everything moved back into the house from his move to Kentucky. It is nice to feel like he lives here again, although he will be returning on Sunday for another few weeks. It has been really nice to have him around to help out with Timmy. Timmy still goes to him and really enjoys the extra play time. I really enjoy the extra nap time and ability to run in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only you Kim....Only you.

Nancy said...

Okay- I'm commenting on your blog because the mental image of you running around with a frozen turkey and exploding pipes cracks me up. Also because don't you know anything about defrosting??? Cold water Kim, not hot. Never hot. Soaking your turkey in ice water would actually defrost it faster than hot water. Lol...

Anyway- I also have to tell you that this blog comment thing is a two way street. So, since you never comment on my blog, consider this a mercy post since you're a blogger newbie... I won't be so generous in the future... ;) You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours... Hehe...

Happy Blogging!