Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Travel and Great News!

Our new place!
Tim and Timmy at our resort in San Diego

Timmy at Polar Bear exhibit at Sea World


Let's watch a Disneyland parade!

Tim, Rick, Rachel, Timmy ad I at the Bug's Life attraction at Disneyland

Groom's cake for Rehearsal dinner for Rick and Rachel's wedding. This cake was made in a borrowed kitchen by Kate Wilkerson (Tim and Rick's very talented cousin)
Take a bow Kate!
Timmy playing with "Uncle Boo-Boo"
Congratulations Rick and Rachel!

Timmy and Grandma Jan

Great news! We got the results of our quad screen test back today for the new baby. It was negative! This is not a 100% positive assurance that there are no major issues, but it indicates that there are no markers for increased risk. So the baby is most likely free of genetic disorders and neural tube defects. What great news!

Tim and I also got to peek at the baby this week. It took the midwife a really long time to get the heartbeat because the baby kept moving so much. "She" is an active little one! When we did a quick ultrasound, she was pretty much break-dancing. A LOT of movement!
We are getting ready to move to Texas, and the move will take place right as I would ordinarily be getting the anatomy ultrasound done. This is obviously a huge issue for us, since we really cling to more and more positive assurance that the baby is doing well. Thanks to a really supportive staff at the hospital, we were able to finagle a slightly early appointment for the "big ultrasound" so it could be accomplished before I move. I am really happy to be getting this done at our hospital so we do not have to worry about setting up appointments and waiting for availability when we get to Texas. I also happen to particularly like the staff at our hospital. So, God willing, we will arrive in San Antonio with some extra assurance and some knowledge about the baby's gender. Great news!
We just returned from two weeks of fun travel. Tim, Timmy and I went to San Diego to attend Rick's (Tim's brother) wedding. While we were there, we took a week to vacation at Disneyland, Sea World and around San Diego. We had a blast and really enjoyed the family time. Rick and Rachel had a beautiful wedding that was definitely memorable for everyone.
After our vacation, Tim returned to Kansas for field training and I flew directly to San Antonio to look for a house. Timmy stayed with his grandparents in California and had a blast! San Antonio was surprisingly relaxing for me, and turned out to be just what I needed. I was in a great hotel (highly recommend the Townplace Suites by Marriott if you are ever in San Antonio). The hotel had every service imaginable (for free!) and included two meals a day (well, if you don't mind hotdogs and tacos for dinner). They even shop at a local grocery store for you! So, for a week I had no childcare responsibilities, someone else had the reigns for my company and I didn't have to cook. I had a blast (despite being a little lonely). I am feeling great (have to look at my expanding belly to convince myself I am pregnant) and was able to work out every day (three miles of running, one mile power walk).
The good news from last week is that I found a great place to live. We will be living in Cibolo, Texas, which is slightly north of San Antonio, in the suburbs. The house is absolutely beautiful, with much more space and a lot of nice little features (garden tub, window seats in the master bedroom, open floor plan, really clean and new). I was really happy with this place and super excited to move in!
I only have one and half weeks left in command (change of command is 7 May). Leaving command will be a little bittersweet, but I am really looking forward to the next step in my career. It will be nice to have a solid two years of being responsible only for myself and my family instead of 300+ Soldiers. It has truly been an honor to serve, but it will be an honor to pass the reigns and move on as well. It will be a mixed blessing to move on to San Antonio and start the Baylor program.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Kim: What wonderful, happy news, especially about the baby, but about the house, too! Congratulations! It was so good to see you and your family at the wedding. Best -- Linda

Anonymous said...

WOW! You have busy. Glad you found a house and that everything is in order. I know you are looking forward to less responsibility! Wasn't San Diego great? We love it there. God bless you - especially during all the transition! Love, Mrs. B

Nancy said...

The house really is beautiful! Looks like you've found a nice fit for yourself in TX! Great job, and VERY glad to hear the test went well for baby!!!