Friday, April 10, 2009

Long Day "After"

I think that we did everything conceivable to prepare ourselves for the difficult and painful experience of Emma's death. All of this preparation did not truly prepare us for the grief we actually experienced, but it probably helped. However, no one prepared us for the "day after," particularly the first morning of waking up to such an overwhelming sense of loss. It is enough to want to make one never want to go to sleep again.

I have lived 27 years of very rich experiences, but I feel like my entire life has been defined by only two phases: life before Emma's death and life after Emma's death. I hope that time will help heal the acuity of this feeling.

We have moved forward today with one tiny step. We have set a date and time for Emma's funeral. We will honor Emma's very short life on Tuesday at 1400 (2pm) at Fort Riley's Main Post Chapel. Funeral arrangements will be provided by Penwell Gable in Herington, KS.

On a number of occasions, we have been sheepishly asked if we are comfortable with receiving phone calls and other communications. The short answer is "yes, absolutely." We always appreciate support from friends and loved ones, even if it is a couple of words posted on a blog guestbook. However, because we have been blessed with so many dear friends and family members who are providing us with much-needed support, we may not have the oportunity to immediately answer the phone or resond to e-mails. Believe me, we check our voice mails, e-mail accounts, blog site and mailbox on a daily basis. A message of love and support is always welcomed, though we may not b able to immediately respond to let you personally know how much we appreciate your thought. Please temporarily accept our blanket "thank-you" and know that we truly mean it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not seem to find the words to express how sorry I am for your loss. You are always in my thoughts & prayers.
Love,
Jess & Joe Decker

ginny said...

:(
missing you and hoping you are healing.

Household6 said...

Thinking of you....

H

Nancy said...

I can't even imagine Kim... I know you must wake up hoping all this was a dream, and that everything is just fine. I'm so sorry... I'm glad you guys have loving parents near, a sweet little boy to cheer you up, and Corey and Kelly near by for comic relief. ;) xox

Joyce said...

Loving thoughts are with you all at this sad time.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know you all are still constantly in my thoughts and prayers. My heart aches for you and unfortunately, I know all too well the emptiness feeling. It's a rollercoaster of emotions. Know that I'm here for you for the entire ride if you need me. During the darkest of times, keep your faith and lean on those who love you. And most importantly, hold on to your precious little Timmy and soak in all his blessings. I love you guys. I'm planning on being there on Tuesday. Sending you a big hug!

Dena