Thursday, April 30, 2009

Quilt Therapy







Today was a pretty fun day. I have decided to make a quilt square to memorialize Emma on a Memorial Quilt at the hospital where she was born. Sherri (midwife) suggested that I meet someone she knew who quilts. So, today I had the chance to meet DJ, a retired Army nurse. DJ gave me my first quilting lesson, which was incredibly fun. I have to say, my quilt square is made with a lot more love than talent, but DJ did a great job at teaching me the basics. I was able to complete two full squares today. One square I will send to the Memorial Quilt. The other square I will keep for Emma's memory box. Next week I am scheduled to meet up with DJ so she can show me how to "finish" the square and make it into a small blanket or wall-hanging. I am really looking forward to another fun afternoon with my new friend. :)






While I was at DJ's house, we were visited by "Old Blue." I looked out the window and could not believe my eyes when I saw a beautiful peacock standing up on the porch...yes, in KANSAS. Old Blue stayed there all afternoon and made sounds. At most times it sounded like he was just laughing at me while I tried to figure out how to sew in a straight line (no drinking involved, I promise).






The big news on the homefront is that Tim will be taking command of a company next week! This was a little sooner than we had expected, but Tim is thrilled to have the opportunity. That being said, on short notice he has had a lot to do to prepare for command. This week has been fairly full for him each day, often requiring work to be done when he returns home from work. Tim takes command next Wednesday at 1300. I am so excited for him as he takes on this new responsibility. It is a rewarding experience that I look forward to getting back to in the upcoming weeks. By then we will DEFINITELY have a busy household of two commanders. I plan to enjoy the few moments of taking time to quilt, play with Timmy and work on my little "projects" while I have the chance.

5 comments:

The Bender's said...

Congratulations Commanders Decker! It is great to know that the Army is continued to be led by strong leaders!
God Bless you both and your family as you take on this journey together!

By the way, LOVE the quilt. I want to learn too someday, so maybe you can help me!

Take Care,
Karen

Nancy said...

I'm excited for Tim- I hope that goes well, and wish we could be there to cheer him on as he takes command... pass on our congrats to him.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt square. As a person who has sewn with you in the past (leading only to a very cranky Kim, swearing, and some drinking) I have to say, I'm impressed! ;)

N

Household6 said...

Congrats TIm! This will be the craziest time and you will sometimes look back and wonder how you EVER got through it, but it will be some great memories.

Heather

Karen said...

Congrats to Tim!

Is that the picture of your tulips on the quilt square? How wonderful! I think DJ is an amazing person. I didn't know that she quilted...

The Bender Bunch said...

Kim,
I just wanted to leave you a note saying that we are thinking of you on this Mother's Day. Hug on little Timmy and know many are loving and praying for you as you take each day at a time.

Love,
Karen, Craig, Logan and Zach